Do I need to let my insurer know if I’m planning on having an extension built on my house?

Yes, and there are several reasons why this is important.  Firstly, adding rooms to your house will cause the terms of your existing premium to become invalid.  Secondly, if your builders damage any part of the house during the extension – for example, if they cause damage when walls are being taken down – then you will need to make sure that you have cover for this.  Finally, if you have given your builders a spare key or have open walls for any part of the extension project, this could present an extra security risk.

Do I need to tell my insurer if I’m having a new kitchen fitted?

If you aren’t making any structural changes to your home then it isn’t usually necessary to advice an insurer.  The only exception to this is if your refurbishment would affect how much it would cost to re-build your house.

If we’re extending a house but not living in it, do we need to let the insurers know?

It’s possible to arrange temporary home insurance for the time that you would not be living in a property.  This may be preferable to full home insurance and can typically be taken out for a period of 3 months or 6 months, rather than a year.

You might need this type of home insurance if you’re renovating a property as a landlord, or if you are moving out whilst an extension is being built onto your house.  Similarly, if you are renovating a property that you have inherited or simply waiting for the probate to come through, this type of insurance may be preferable to taking out an annual policy.

Will my builder be insured to cover any damage they do during my extension build?

Some builders will take out their own cover, which covers the value of the work that they carry out in case anything goes wrong before it is finished and covered by your own home insurance.  Ask your builder if they have ‘all risks’ insurance to see whether your extension would be covered by your builder, before it is completed.

Would I be liable if my extension builder injures themselves on my property?

Your builder should have employer’s liability insurance, which would cover them and their colleagues if they fall off a ladder or injure themselves when something falls over.  However, this is only a requirement for limited companies, so if your builder is a sole trader, you might find that they could sue you if they become injured whilst working on your extension.

Planning your home extension

side of house extension buildWhilst changing their home insurance doesn’t occur to everyone when planning a home extension, it can be the difference between delight or disaster.  Imagine saving for an extension for 5 years to then all of the materials destroyed with a fire during the build.

Extensions can be stressful enough, especially if you’re moving out to accommodate a build, so home insurance can be the last thing on your mind.  However, to ensure that your extension project is as exciting and problem free as it should be, use a recommended, insured builder and check what home insurance you need with your insurer.


Speak to a local builder about extensions

At Abell, we specialise in home extensions and renovations. Home insurance is something that we will recommend as part of your budget for the build, to help ensure that your extension project is carried out as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Whatever your plans are, we will be able to help advise you on what will be required as well as timeframes, to help plan in the works around your other plans.  For a quote on your home extension project, please call us on 01509 734550.